Monday, May 30, 2011

Operation Energise


First week of mama being healthy (ish) has been successful! I came down with a cold mid week and to be honest, it's the best thing that could have happened! I felt rotten and my body was craving nothing but pure goodness; so I answered it with an abundance of fruit, vegetables, juice, soups and stews. A friend swears by eating raw garlic, so I mustered up the courage to give it a go. It had bite! But I think it nearly burnt all the germs away and definitely made me feel a little better. Old wives tale or not, I'd recommend giving it a go.

Change one (A better breakfast) has become a habit already, I now eat a good breakfast every morning as opposed to a sugar laden one. Change two (less black tea) is going well, although I have found I prefer herbal teas with a cold anyway. Change three (balanced tea every night) is starting to become the norm, but I have caved and just eaten something quick and small for tea before collapsing into bed a few nights. I will aim to continue improving my last meal of the day. Change four (water and iron supplements) is still amazing. Water wakes me up quickly and obviously my body was parched, the iron is still working its mineral magic!


This week I have four new changes. I am thanking the iron for giving me the energy to even be bothered making these changes. If you do one thing to improve your health, let it be a blood test to determine what you are lacking.

Change #1 No more morning naps. Even as I write this I'm still not entirely sure that its necessary and might be crossing my fingers on one hand behind my back. But, maybe that mama nap is sapping energy rather than providing it. I'll give it a trial.

Change #2 to walk every second day. I've been doing this for the past two weeks purely by coincidence and its felt really good

Change #3 Stop adding sugar to cups of tea gradually. I have tried the cold turkey thing, the shakes and mood swings aren't worth it. I am cutting back from two teaspoons to one.

Change #4 Eat more green. I rarely eat anything green, I know I should. Broccoli, lettuce, celery, spinach is on the menu.

So there, four easy changes for the next week. There will still be slip-ups and bad habits, but I am one step closer to getting healthier and one step further away from being terribly unhealthy. I am heading interstate for 3 days this week which will test my commitment, shopping is great exercise though and eating out can be healthy (ish) perhaps. Also, I am a little late to jump on board with Danielles '8 weeks to a better me' challenge, but this is on a very similar track, head over and have a look.


I will update next week with more progress and changes to make! Wish me luck! 

No comments:

Post a Comment